August 18, 2023

What Happens If You Accidentally Eat an Egg With a Crack in the Shell?

If you're like most people, you're probably pretty careful when choosing eggs at the grocery store. You'll check to make sure there aren't any cracks in the shell. However, what happens if you accidentally eat an egg with a small crack in the shell?

According to Business Insider, eating a cracked shell isn't dangerous and will not cut the lining of your throat or esophagus. The shell shard will dissolve as it moves through the digestive tract. It's also a great source of calcium.

However, it's important to know what you should do if you see mold on an eggshell or if there are any other signs of contamination. Bacteria and other harmful contaminants can enter cracked eggs through the shell and can cause food poisoning. Symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps and fever. Children, older adults and those with weakened immune systems are more at risk for complications if they ingest contaminated eggs.

Despite the fact that accidental consumption of cracked eggshells isn't considered dangerous, it's best to avoid them. Instead, save them to use for baking, unclogging drains and adding a nutrient-rich soil amendment. They can also be crushed into a powder and added to foods such as breads, spaghetti and pizza to help increase calcium intake. You can even use it as a non-abrasive dish cleaner and add it to ground coffee before brewing. If you're looking for another way to get more calcium, try taking a magnesium supplement or eating yogurt.


Welcome to the blog all about your mental, physical and last but not least, your spiritual health, and well-being.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram