Why does one need Protein powder?
Proteins are essential for building and repairing muscles. So, all you require is a good diet and adequate exercise to meet your daily protein requirement. To know more about health supplements check out male pattern fitness to know about your body. If you feel that your body does not get the daily protein requirement from natural sources, then only you should resort to protein supplements – like protein powders.
What is Protein Powder?
Protein powder supplements are convenient, have the potential to enhance muscle growth, and may help you avoid the risks of some ingredients often used to bulk up Protein. But when you're trying to build muscle and strength, your timing is as important as the amount you eat. If you chug a glass of milk after a workout, your body won't be able to use all the Protein to rebuild muscle fibers.
Protein powders are simple to include in your diet. Protein concentrate is the least processed of the three types, with 70–85% protein content. Whey protein isolate is slightly more processed, with 90% or higher protein content. Finally, whey protein hydrolysate has broken down amino acids for easier digestion and often contains 80% protein. Too much Protein can cause significant side effects.
What is the regular intake of Protein?
Maintaining a good protein intake is essential for the well-being of your muscles. As a guideline, you should be consuming approximately 0.8 to 1.3 grams of protein per kilo of body weight. For example, a 65-kilo individual should aim to eat roughly 52 to 84 grams per day to maintain adequate levels of muscle tissue.
How do you get rid of excess protein in the body?
Ensure you drink more water. Protein is an essential part of the diet, but we must not consume too much of it, or we can risk stressing our organs and causing dehydration. Try including some low-protein foods in your diet. In addition to taking whey protein supplements, include more water in your diet to flush out any extra protein from your system.
What are the side effects caused by Protein powder?
- Research has shown that protein supplements can increase the incidence of acne, as they contain hormones and bioactive peptides that are known to cause excess sebum production, thereby aggravating pre-existing GI conditions and causing inflammatory diseases.
- Unlike food sources of Protein, which provide the body with a range of nutrients and other benefits, protein powders have been isolated to contain only high amounts of Protein. Due to this isolation, consuming protein powders may result in other nutrient deficiencies.
- Whey milk is a type of milk that contains concentrated levels of compounds beneficial or otherwise to adults when taken as a supplement. Some combinations are helpful, such as whey protein and compounds that can cause issues for your gastrointestinal system like lactoferrin. The antibacterial qualities of lactoferrin can cause an upset stomach.
- It would be best to consume them from reputed companies; some smaller companies that produce cheaper products often contain highly toxic metals such as lead, cadmium, and arsenic. These can cause headaches, fatigue, and pain in muscles and joints.
- Protein powders can contribute to an increase in insulin levels in the body, which reduces blood sugar levels by augmenting the uptake of glucose by muscle and fat cells.
- Excessive exposure to high Protein may lead to liver and kidney problems. This is due to the high urea content in Protein. There is also a risk of diarrhea, nausea, dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, and kidney stones. This should be used cautiously if you have an existing kidney problem. It is recommended for people above the age of 18. Stop using this supplement if you experience side effects or are tired excessively during exercise.
- Excess intake of whey protein can interfere with the functioning of the heart and cause an irregular heartbeat, cardiac arrest, and other heart diseases. Moreover, since experts claim that large amounts of Protein promote the development of saturated fats, increase blood sugar levels and acidify the blood, whey protein can compromise the heart's performance.
- Whey protein makes the pH of the blood acidic by dropping it below the standard levels (7.35 to 7.45). Elevated blood acidity has been linked to hypertension, kidney dysfunction, osteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes, and other severe health conditions. If you are consuming whey protein powders, ensure that you don't exceed the recommended dosage.
With almost every fitness and health enthusiast using protein powder, it has become a popular discussion point. So, Consume them in a limited amount. Also, not forget that consuming natural protein sources, such as fish, eggs, and beans, is more effective for weight loss and muscle-building than taking supplements like protein powder.