Meditation is proven to be effective in improving focus, reducing stress, and boosting creativity. But it can be difficult to start or maintain a daily practice.
Here are some tips that will help you get started on a path toward greater peace and happiness:
1. Find a quiet spot to meditate (preferably without distractions).
2. Sit up comfortably in a chair or on a cushion, with your back straight.
3. Close your eyes, or cap them halfway, and relax your gaze.
4. Focus on your breathing as you inhale and exhale, noticing your breath throughout the session.
5. Bring attention to your body, focusing on areas of the body that you want to relax, starting with the top of the head and working down to the lower belly and lower back.
6. Move to the muscles in your chest wall and soften them.
7. Inhale through your nose and feel the air filling your lungs, holding for a moment before breathing out.
8. Exhale through your mouth and allow any tension to release through your breath.
9. Repeat these steps three times.
10. Finish by thanking yourself for taking time out to practice meditation.
You can benefit from meditating for as little as 15 minutes a day, especially first thing in the morning. It can help you feel more positive and optimistic throughout the rest of your day, so you’re better able to face challenges with confidence. Moreover, it helps you get more control over your thoughts and emotions to avoid them from getting out of hand.